Easier said than done, but nothing worth doing is ever easy, right?
1) Don’t complain about anything you’re not willing to make an effort to change. If you do choose to complain, then you have an obligation to do something about it.
2) Barring truly extenuating circumstances, do what you say you will, and do not do what you say you will not. Let your word speak volumes because it is your bond. If you are uncertain, remain explicitly uncertain to all relevant parties until such time as you can commit. Be wary of others who may sully the reputation of your word – either intentionally so or not – by ascribing false or unqualified quotes to you.
3) Let every choice you make be an opportunity to discover and define yourself more deeply. Make no unexamined turns, however unimportant they may seem. Be deliberate. Consider how your past and future selves will perceive your present words and actions. Strive such that your choices transform into principles you want to have. Actions form habits.
4) Endeavor to enter into all that you do without reservations nor expectations. Don’t hold back, and don’t only do things because of what you hope to gain. Respect the journey. Live fully and expect nothing, and everything will feel like a blessing.
5) Accept the existence of your worst self. Stare into a mirror until you cry. I guarantee no matter how comfortable you are with yourself, this will happen if you stare long enough. When you break, don’t look away. Realize that you are exactly the way you are meant to be – perfectly imperfect. It is alright to feel uncertain and to experience failure and to even hate yourself.
Recognize that you will not always be your worst self, nor can you always be your best self.